J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is False Puppet!
Here are five things you need to know about False Puppet who are currently in the studio recording their debut album!
1. Hailing from Santa Barbara, CA, False Puppet consists of lead vocal and guitarist Tyler Benko, drummer and percussionist Brennan Benko, and bassist Channing Peake -- whom have been friends since elementary school. When Tyler and Channing started learning the guitar in third grade, Brennan decided to take up the drums. "The band really got started when we all entered our Junior High Talent Show," Brennan tells J-14. "We actually got a couple gigs from that show and decided to carry things on from there!"
2. The best way to describe their sound is fun, pop-rock with a harder edge, though Tyler would rather their audiences decide for themselves how to categorize them. "We try not to copy anyone, but we've definitely been influenced by bands like Blink-182 and Nirvana," Channing tells J-14.
3. Writing songs comes easy for Tyler, who takes inspiration from personal experiences, his moods, and relationships with his peers. "I don't know, it just kind of happens," Tyler explains his writing process to J-14. "Sometimes it happens when we're not even trying. We'll just be jamming and we'll play something that we think sounds cool and then I'll just say the first words that pop into my head and the next thing you know it's a song!"
4. With dreams of making it big, these three boys are currently writing, recording, and getting ready to hit the road to win over hearts everywhere. "So much can happen in two years, but I'd love to be touring the world, performing in huge stadiums for tons of people," Channing tells J-14. "We love writing and creating music but playing for a live audience is by far my favorite part of being in a band."
5. "By Your Side" is one of their latest singles that's sure to skyrocket up the charts. "I had the first line of the song in my head for awhile. I kind of had this whole story in my mind that I wanted to write a song about but I couldn't find the right melody," Tyler explains. "Then one day I was just messing around on the guitar and the riff just came to me and I wrote the rest of the song in about ten minutes! To me it's a song about losing a loved one but finding the motivation to carry on. But it can mean different things to different people."
Check out their latest single "Move Your Body"! If you dig the tune and make your own dance routine video to "Move Your Body" you can even be featured in the official music video! For more info check out their Facebook here.
Let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Chad Elder Photography