J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is New Hollow!
Here are five things you need to know about New Hollow whose singles "Boyfriend" & "SiCK" are out now!
1. All originally from different states, it was fate that brought lead vocalist, keyboardist, and bassist Evan West, drummer and backup vocalist Chad Blashford, and lead vocalist and guitarist Mick Clouse together, on the same street in New Albany, OH about five years ago. "Mick and I learned that we both played instruments and we started a little band and wrote music together," Evan tells J-14. "Chad actually played sports. We were like 'wow' this kid would be awesome as a drummer and Mick was like 'I should teach him a little bit'. It took off from there."
2. When Chad joined the band, Mick and Evan decided it was time for a name change. "Our original band name was called 'Monkey Hollow' and it was actually a street in Sunbury, OH. But then when Chad joined the band it was sort of a new take on the band and a new start for us so we came up with New Hollow," Mick tells J-14. "And also from our town New Albany to stay close to our roots."
3. Some of this retro-pop-rock band's musical inspirations include Led Zeppelin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Nirvana, Coldplay, The Doors, Beatles, and Green Day. "Since our influences are so different, when we come together we can really bring something to the table that wouldn't generally," Mick tells J-14. "It kind of just meshes -- very compatible."
4. New Hollow has done their fair share of touring with the pros. This summer they toured with 100 Monkeys (Twilight star Jackson Rathbone's band) and did a few shows with Greyson Chance and Big Time Rush. "Evan was sitting on a table. There was one chair in our green room, I don't know why. So Chad and Evan had to share the table and it was really awkward looking. Kendall walked in thinking it was his dressing room," Mick tells J-14 about their first meeting Big Time Rush. "It was a really small table and Kendall walked in and I'm like 'oh hey, I'm Chad'. It was really funny," Chad explains. "They're really cool guys. We talked to Logan after the show for like a half an hour and Carlos likes Batman and Star Wars so Evan liked him."
5. Very interactive with their fans, these three make it a priority to meet and interact with each and every kid that comes to their show. One even lasted four hours!
Check out their music video for their second single "Boyfriend" and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Nicole Mazza/J-14