J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is One Direction!
Here are five things you need to know about One Direction, whose debut single "What Makes You Beautiful" drops September 11!
1. This pop British-Irish boyband consists of Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson. Though they entered Simon Cowell's UK hit The X Factor as solo artists, they were put in to a band which landed them third place in the competition. "As individuals, we wouldn't have got this far but I think we have something special together," Zayn says.
2. Some artists they'd love to perform with in the future include British group Take That, Katy Perry, and even Justin Bieber. "We got to meet him," Zayn says. "It's amazing to see someone who is basically the same age as us and how much they have managed to achieve in such a short time."
3. Though there might occasionally be a natural friendly rivalry between five teen boys, at the end of the day they're huge pranksters who are all about having a good time. "Louis went on as a carrot!" Liam recalls some of their devious stunts. "And another night, we were crouched down and Harry pushed me, and my trousers split -- it was a massive rip!" he laughs.
4. Like American Idol contestants and other reality stars, these guys haven't had much time to deal with their skyrocketing rise to fame. "It's strange going from being totally unknown to being on the front of magazines," Liam says. Niall adds, "It's hard for us to even walk down the streets at the moment. It's quite funny really when people give you a second look and realize who you are. People have always been really nice to us and given us great comments."
5. One Direction had a blast working with ex-Idol judge Simon Cowell. "Simon is hilarious. At The X Factor, behind the curtains just before we came on, he'd talk non-stop about football and girls," Zayn says. "He's just one of the lads really."
Check out their music video for their debut single "What Makes You Beautiful" and let us know what you think!
Photo: Richard Young/Startraks Photo