J-14 is scouting out the hottest music around... and this week's pick is Karmin.
Here are five things you need to know about Karmin whose debut album is due to drop early next year!
1. Engaged lovebirds Nick Noonan and Amy Heidemann make up the power-pop duo Karmin, who met at Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA, and began writing songs together. "We didn't even start Karmin until we graduated, but by the time we started it, we were like, this is 100 percent us," Amy says.
2. Karmin comes from the latin noun "carmen," which means "song." They altered the spelling to Karmin to play at the word "karma."
3. Haven gotten their start and recognized by their catchy cover songs on Youtube, they feel even more pressure when they go in to a writing studio. "A lot of people think when they first meet us, even in the industry, as a novelty. They think, 'Well, what do you really do?'" Nick says. "So we feel like every session we go to we have to bring it. We have to prove that we are great writers; we are great producers. I think we've done a great job at that."
4. "Happy" is the word that Amy would use to describe Karmin. "We love doing this together so much, and can't imagine doing it any other way," she says.
5. The biggest challenge for this duo has been doing everything themselves from recording, video editing, and even graphic design. They even designed their own t-shirt!
Check out their debut single "Crash Your Party" and let us know what you think!