J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is States!
Here are five things you need to know about States, whose debut full length album Room to Run is out now!
1. Pop-rock band States consists of Mindy White, Stephen and Bryan Laurenson, Jonathan Bucklew, and Dean Lorenz. When their current bands Lydia and Copeland broke up, Mindy was determined to pursue her own musical career path. "I had always wanted to pursue my own music and front a band, so I started writing on my own," Mindy tells J-14. "Stephen Laurenson from Copeland and I both lived in Nashville and decided to try and write music together. The rest of the guys from Copeland were really into the sound, and later joined the project."
2. This band strives for individuality and proves to be far from your typical pop-rock band. "I think we have a very unique rock, pop sound. We didn't have one direction for creating the band's sound, it was more of a mix of all of our influences," Mindy explains. "Each song has it's own identity, yet they all have a similar 'States' sound to them. I think the melodies definitely have a catchy, pop and eerie feel about them at times."
3. They have a vast variety of musical inspirations including Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Britney Spears, Karen Carpenter, Coldplay, and Nsync.
4. States recently released their first album Room to Run which is all about freedom. "It's all about doing what you want to, not what someone else wants or tells you to do, about being independent and making your own rules, not being held back, or being afraid of exploring," Mindy explains to J-14. "Room to Run is a collection of songs, mainly written about having the freedom to do what you're meant to do."
5. What's one of Mindy's favorite songs off the album? "Personally, my favorite song is probably 'Can't Explain' because it's such a fun song to sing, it's slightly eerie sounding, and it's inspired by my favorite, the Harry Potter Series!" She says. "Specifically Ron Weasley and the Amortentia Potion."
Check out their latest track "Timebomb" and let us know what you think!
Photo: Ethan Luck