J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is Tonight Alive!
Here are five things you need to know about Tonight Alive, whose upcoming album What Are You So Scared Of comes out February 14, 2012.
1. This female-fronted pop-punk band from Australia consists of vocalist Jenna McDougall, guitarist Jake Hardy, guitar and vocalist Whakaio, bassist Cam Adler, and drummer Matt Best. Jenna credits her father for bringing music into her life at an early age. "Music had always been a big part of my life," she tells J-14. "I had always sung for as long as I could remember too, but picked up the guitar when I was 10-years-old and started writing music in the years following."
2. After recording a few demos, this group was in desperate need of agreeing to a band name. "We were kind of under pressure to come up with a name and so after a practice one day we all sat down on my bedroom floor and wrote out a list of words we thought sounded cool and mixed and matched them," Jenna explains. "We wanted something that would reflect on the energy of our sound and live show, so Tonight Alive seemed appropriate!"
3. With comparisons to Hey Monday, The Ready Set, and Blink 182, Tonight Alive strives to make a name for themselves with not only catchy melodies and hooks but also heartfelt lyrics. "I want to make our listeners happy but I also want to make them think," Jenna tells J-14. "I was lucky enough to have good people in my life that shaped me in a way I will always be thankful for, but I know not everyone is that lucky so I hope my lyrics and our music can give our listeners the support and the love they need!"
4. Some musical inspirations include The Script, Senses Fail, Jimmy Eat World, and even Blink 182, whom they got to work with on Tonight Alive's new album when Blink's vocalist and bassist Mark Hoppus joined Jenna for a duet. "It was out of this world. It was really cool to write a part for him and watch him record it," Jenna tells J-14. "He and his band played such a big part in my growing up."
5. Their single "Wasting Away" is a song that not only the band, but just about everyone can relate to: working towards your dreams and not letting opinions of other people get in your way. "It addresses the concept of people waiting for good things to happen rather than going out and doing something about them," Jenna says. "It's so easy to sit back and let opportunities pass you by because it seems 'too hard' at the time. What sets you apart is your drive to make it happen!"
Check out their music video for their single "Wasting Away" below and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Fearless Records