J-14 is scouting out the hottest music around... and this week's pick is Tay and Kate.
Here are five things you need to know about country duo Tay and Kate!
1. Country-pop teen duo Tay and Kate have always had music in their blood. "I started singing at a young age and then eventually started yodeling," Tay tells J-14. "What's funny is, yodeling led me to be on America's Got Talent. That was a great blessing and I had a lot of fun." Kate credits her two older sisters for helping her get over her stage fear. "Growing up, me and my two older sisters always wanted to perform together wherever we could," she tells us. "They were the ones who helped me get over my fear of singing in front of people and made me realize how much I love to sing."
2. In hope of getting in touch with their biggest idol Taylor Swift, on December 13 for Swift's 22nd birthday, Tay and Kate used all their Christmas money to buy radio commercials on Nashville's 107.5 The River. They broadcasted a 30-second commercial where they played a clip of their rewritten Swift cover "Ours," wished her a happy birthday, and thanked her for being their idol. "We are such major Taylor Swift fans so we wanted to say happy birthday in the most unique way possible and make sure our message was heard," Tay tells J-14. "We are not positive as to whether or not she has heard it, but we do hope she did because we put a lot of effort into and we really want our biggest role model to know how much we appreciate her."
3. Besides Taylor Swift, they're inspired by other country and pop star including Carrie Underwood, Demi Lovato, Rascal Flatts, and Justin Bieber "He inspired me by reminding me to 'never say never,'" Kate adds.
4. This duo also is inspired by people who set out to make a difference and bring awareness brought to issues that kids are going through today. "We would love to meet Perez Hilton," they tell J-14. "We think it's great how he is making a difference in putting an end to bullying, which is a big issue for us kids."
5. Not only do they cover some of their favorite songs on YouTube but they also do a lot of writing together and hope to release an album in the future. "We are going to continue finding the right producer who understands us and write music that connects to people our age," they reveal. "Some of our goals for the New Year include building a large fan base and doing a mall tour."
Check out their "Ours" tribute to Taylor Swift below and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Tay & Kate