J-14 is scouting out the hottest music around and this week's pick is... Diamante!
Here are the 5 things you need to know about Diamante who's gearing up to hit the road this year and release an EP this summer!
1. At just 15 years old, Diamante is sure of the life she's planned out for herself -- one surrounded by music. "When everyone was playing with dolls, I was spending countless hours in my room listening to all my favorite CDs and performing in front of the mirror," she tells J-14. After scoring the role of Sandy in the musical Grease, she knew that being a performer was her only option. A couple of years later, she packed her bags, relocated to LA, recorded her first song in 2010, and released her first EP last summer.
2. Unlike many performers who deal with nerves, Diamante feels most comfortable on stage in front of a crowd. "It's strange, but when I'm on stage, I feel most comfortable, like I belong there," Diamante says. "I love having the power to be anything I want and not have to feel the pressure to fit in or be perfect. I get this amazing feeling of sureness I can't find anywhere else."
3. This pop-rocker is inspired by a variety of artists for different reasons. "Adele's lyrics inspire me. She has the talent to express heartbreak, falling in love, and pain better and deeper than anyone else," She tells J-14. "Avril Lavigne and Taylor Momsen are definitely influences in my look, I love how they're so rebellious and honest." As for her voice? She draws influence from classic female rockers like Joan Jett.
4. Diamante participated in the nationwide No Bully Tour where a group of artists traveled from New York to Florida to share their voices and fight for the cause. She even has her own anti-bullying song called "Age of Rebellion". "I am grateful to all the people that have joined this cause and have helped in so many wonderful ways. But I personally wanted to do something from a different point of view. I wanted to step into the bullied kid shoes and help from there." She says. "'Age of Rebellion' is a magical battle where I am one of the bullied kids. We march together to stand up the fight and suddenly become beautifully empowered. It is message of hope and reclaiming strength."
5. Her latest single "Impossible" is a song that nearly every girl can relate to -- falling for the bad boy. "'Impossible' is the 'innocent girl falls for the bad boy' story, and it is written out of personal experience," She says. "I hope I can save people from making the same mistake of loving someone who is completely unhealthy for them. Girls tend to go for the bad boy, or the typical player, and I hope they can realize they deserve much better than that."
Check out her latest music video for "Impossible" below and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Jody Domingue