J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is Dinner And A Suit!
Here are the five things you need to know about Dinner And A Suit whose new album Since Our Departure is out June 12!
1. Nashville's rock trio Dinner And A Suit consists of vocalist Jonathan Capeci, guitarist Joey Beretta, and bassist Anthony Genca. The band was formed in New Jersey by cousins Jonathan and Joey in 2009.
2. Their band name was inspired by their great-grandmother who was a seamstress during the Great Depression. "Wanting to make a difference in her own way, she made it a common practice to invite people who were down on their luck over to the house, cook for them, and just spend time with them," Jonathan says. "When they left, she would give them one of the suits she was finished working on. Our family would tell us that they left her home with 'dinner and a suit'."
3. Their latest album Since Our Departure is all about the transition of their lives after moving away from home. "We had just moved thirteen hours away from all of our family and friends to pursue a dream," Jonathan says. "We wanted to convey hope, and express the struggles and risks that we'd been through. Above all we wanted to say 'this isn't over, it's just the beginning.'"
4. The group loves putting up covers on their YouTube page of some of their favorite songs that include Coldplay's "In My Place", Paramore's "In The Mourning" and "The Only Exception", and Train's "Hey Soul Sister". Check them out here. "We cover songs that we like, and there's not much more to it then that," Jonathan says. "It's a fun way to share music we like with our friends and fans, and we've also had quite a few people discover our music because they like a cover of ours."
5. Dinner And A Suit are primarily focused on the music as they prepare for the release of Since Our Departure. "In a time when lots of bands are focused on how they want to sound, or what scene they will fit into, our primary focus has been writing good songs." He says.
Check out their music video for "Too Late" below and let us know what you think!
Photo: Cory Morton