Five teen girls have been named to the 2012 Summer Olympics U.S. women's gymnastics team -- historically one of the best teams in the world! Here are the top five things you should know about Aly Raisman,18, before the Olympics start this Friday, July 27.
1. Alexandra Raisman was born on May 25,1994, in Needham, MA and got involved with gymnastics when her mom (who was a former gymnast in high school) put her in mommy and me classes at just two years old. "I always had a lot of energy so it was the perfect fit," she says. "I have always loved it ever since!"
2. She used to watch the 1996 Olympics on repeat. "I was so inspired by it," Aly says. "I literally watched it every single day and seeing the [U.S. women] win the gold medal was so amazing. I had just started competing in level four then so I was really excited and just wanted to do the same thing."
3. At the 2011 World Artistic Gymnastic Championships, Aly helped her team win the gold and also served as the team captain. "Winning the team gold was the most amazing feeling ever," she says, "It's a dream come true, saying that I'm a World Champion. It doesn't even seem real saying it right now, but it's just amazing because we were all so prepared and we worked so hard."
4. After her gymnastics career is over, this shopaholic plans to design a line of workout wear. Her love of clothes often leads to problems at the airport -- on her way to Australia, her luggage weighed 67 pounds!
5. Aly credits Taylor Swift as being her role model. "I would love to meet her someday," she says. "She is such an amazing person because she is so humble, genuine, and doesn't let the fame and her accomplishments change her personality. She has accomplished so much at such a young age. I also love how family is so important to her."
Be sure to keep an eye out for Aly Raisman -- the gymnastics events start July 28 on NBC!
If you were in the summer Olympics, which event would you like to participate in?
Photos courtesy of Mitchell Haaseth/NBC Olympics.