J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is June Divided!
Here are five things you need to know about June Divided whose debut album Backbone is out now and are currently on the Vans Warped Tour!
1. Philadelphia's June Divided, formed in late 2010, consists of vocalist and guitarist Melissa Menago, guitarist Chris Kissel, drummer Keith Gill, and bassist Lenny Sasso. Chris and Melissa met in college and worked together throughout their studies. Their band name was even inspired by the name of their college senior project. "We were graduating in June and our lives would be divided once we left school," Melissa tells J-14.
2. The best way to describe their sound would be rock though Melissa admits they're "pretty dynamic. There's high, loud energy and then there's intimate, thoughtful parts to our stuff. But mainly, just rock."
3. Currently, the group has been touring the U.S. on the Vans Warped Tour - though they plan to continue throughout the duration of 2012. "It's been a lot of hard work but totally amazing. We've had a great run so far," Melissa says about their Warped run.
4. 'Backbone' is their debut LP that dropped earlier this month to a great reception. "It's a bold step for us as a band - everything from the independent budget, to the music, to the lyrics," Melissa tells J-14. "We've only been a band for about a year and a half, but we've learned to stand our ground for who we are - we've learned to have a backbone."
5. One of their favorite tracks of play live is a song called "Secrets." It was also the first song written for their album Backbone.
Check out a live performance of June Divided performing "Secrets" below and let us know what you think!
Photo: June Divided/Big Picture Media