J-14 is scouting out the hottest bands around... and this week's pick is Boys Like Girls!
Here are five things you need to know about Boys Like Girls whose new full-length album Crazy World is out this fall!
1. Pop-rockers Boys Like Girls are far from new to the music scene after forming in 2005 and taking over the airwaves with hits like "The Great Escape", "Love Drunk", and "Two Is Better Than One". After a brief hiatus in 2011, the guys are back and getting ready to drop their third studio album this fall called Crazy World. "I went to Nashville and wrote a bunch of songs. I didn't know what any of them were for, and all of a sudden I had this body of work and had written about 300 songs in two years," Lead singer Martin Johnson tells J-14. "And there were these couple that I found myself saving, and I realized it was time to make a Boys Like Girls record. I called up the guys, went out to LA, and we just rocked it and we're really proud of how it came out."
2. Martin describes the new album as a more stripped down approach than their previous records. "We kind of felt the pressure of what was happening on radio. Everything is kind of created on the computer. It felt so non-genuine and so contrived. We ended up with the chance to do something really, really organic. Real, real instruments," He tells J-14. "It's like if you pull production off the old song down to acoustic, it feels like the old songs like 'Two is Better Than One' or 'Thunder'. Those songs are in the vein of old, kind of classic - maybe not country, but like an American kind of feel."
3. Boys Like Girls are currently getting ready to gear up and hit the road on tour with the All-American Rejects, The Ready Set, and Parachute. "I think I'm most excited to see the country again with fresh eyes. It's been a little while and I'm so excited. It's great to be able to play a show and see familiar faces and fans who've been there since day one," Martin says. "We're co-headlining with All-American Rejects who are some of our favorites."
4. Several things the guys have to have on the road with them include a gym pull up bar, a good book to read, and some kind of transportation. "We brought our motorcycles on the road once. We've had bikes, long boards. It's cool to be able to do that kind of stuff," Guitarist Paul DiGiovanni tells J-14.
5. Their current single is described as the 'love song' on the album by Martin. "It's hard for me to express emotion, and I think it's the one love song on the album," He tells us. "It's about that moment when you're like, it's time to tell a girl how you really feel. It's that moment when you don't know if you're friends or more. It's kind of that moment when, it's a snapshot of that moment."
Check out their music video for their latest single "Be Your Everything" and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Columbia Records