J-14 is scouting out the hottest music around... and this week's pick is Timeflies!
Here are five things you need to know about Timeflies who are gearing up for tour this fall!
1. Duo Timeflies consists of producer Rob Resnick and vocal and lyricist Cal. After meeting in college when Rob heard Cal free-styling, he decided they needed to work together. Throwing together some tracks for parties that got a great reception, Timeflies was born.
2. Rob and Cal called their duo Timeflies because they are both huge procrastinators. "We would end up doing everything else but music," Cal tells J-14. "We were doing it for our own kicks and not really taking advantage of the situation so at the end of every semester and school was winding down and everyone would leave we would finally get together and be like 'we should actually do this more often'. So we kept making the excuse 'time flies, time flies' and it kind of just stuck as our name."
3. Though Cal always loved music and singing, he struggled with stage fright growing up. "I knew I loved singing and would sing at home behind closed doors but would never really venture out to do it so when Rob invited me down to sing with his funk band, I fell in love with it," Cal says.
4. How do they best describe their unique sound? "Electro-hip-hop-dub-something," Rob tells J-14. "We have no idea what it's going to sound like when we go in to a track and that's one of the most fun parts," Cal adds.
5. The guys recently released their latest album, a mix-tape called 'Under The Influence'. Their current single is a track called "Sleep Forever". "I wrote the song right after my tonsillectomy so he sent me the beat and I couldn't speak," Cal tells J-14. "It became really relevant after our tour when we were so tired."
Check out the music video to their latest single "Sleep Forever" below and let us know what you think!
Photo: Courtesy of Timeflies