She just had a major victory! Taylor Swift took the stand earlier this week in order to testify in a sexual assault case against Denver-based former radio DJ David Mueller after she claimed he groped her while they posed for a photo together at a 2013 meet-and-greet. But now, after spending a week in court, she is no longer considered a defendant in the case.
In 2015, David sued Taylor for $300 million in damages because he was fired from the radio station after her team sent photos from the incident to his former employer. But now, U.S. District Judge William Martinez dismissed David's suit, claiming that he did not provide sufficient evidence proving that Taylor sent those photos with the intention to get him fired, People reported. Taylor's countersuit against David for sexual assault will continue next week. Keep reading below to find out everything we know about the case.
The incident occurred in 2013.
David was a well-known radio personality on the Denver country music station 98.5 KYGO, local paper The Denver Post reported. He went by the name "Jackson" on the “Ryno and Jackson” morning show and he stopped by Taylor's meet-and-greet backstage at the Denver stop on her Red Tour at the Pepsi Center.
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Taylor went on to recount the details of the moment David groped her in a 2016 deposition obtained by Billboard. “Right as the moment came for us to pose for the photo, he took his hand and put it up my dress and grabbed onto my ass cheek and no matter how much I scooted over it was still there," she said. "It was completely intentional, I've never been so sure of anything in my life."
The DJ was the first person to bring the case to court.
Taylor accused David of groping her and he was later removed from the concert by security guards, according to Rolling Stone. She later gave the radio station a photo that was taken during the moments she was groped by David as proof, and he was fired from his job two days later. In 2015, he sued her for $3 million in damages to his reputation and wrongful termination and she countersued for $1.
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Taylor tried to stop the photographic proof from being released to the public.
TMZ previously released the photo last fall, even though she tried to keep the photo private because she said it would somehow prejudice the jury. The jury was selected on Monday, Aug. 7 in a Denver federal court before the trial was set to commence, according to Reuters.
Taylor is hoping to set an example for women who have gone through sexual assault.
According to court documents, Taylor hopes that this trial will set "an example to other women who may resist publicly reliving similar outrageous and humiliating acts." Even though she is only asking for $1 in damages, she is planning to donate any money that she is rewarded to charities that protect women from sexual assault.
This post originally appeared on our sister site In Touch Weekly.