Today just got better because it’s WinIt Wednesday!
We admit that things can get pretty heavy on the Netflix Original Series 13 Reasons Why. From watching our beloved characters deal with relatable situations to discovering new and raw talent that has brought the pages of this beloved modern classic to life, we just can’t get enough of this major teen drama.
Read on to find out the 13 reasons why you should read and own the 10th anniversary edition of the book that inspired the show. (Hint: the new book edition is full of juicy exclusive content all fans need.)
1. As you should already know, 13 Reasons Why was adapted from the book.
The novel was written by New York Times best-selling young-adult fiction novelist Jay Asher in 2007.
2. Fun fact: Jay Asher cites the television show My So-Called Life as one of his major influences.
(He has really great taste.)
3. Already read the book? It’s always great to have another copy lying around.
They play Clay and Hannah on the Netflix Original Series adaptation.
4. Haven’t read the book yet? You’re in luck!
You’ll be able to win the aforementioned special edition and signed copy for yourself, a friend, or whoever you think will need to read this modern classic.
5. The 10th anniversary edition includes never-before-seen content.
6. One winner will get to flip through early notes and ideas of how Jay wanted the story to be.
Plus, that lucky person will enjoy an introduction from the author himself.
7. The anniversary edition contains the story’s original ending where Hannah Baker lives.
Jay told Penguin Teen that the original ending for the book was entirely different.
"Since the book came out, readers have asked if I ever considered — somehow
— keeping Hannah alive at the end of the novel. I get a great reaction when I tell them that’s precisely how it originally ended. Their jaws drop!" he revealed.
"Then I explain the particulars of how it unfolded, and why it needed to change. So, since I’d already been talking about it, it felt appropriate to finally share that chapter for the 10th anniversary edition."
8. The novel sold over 3 million copies.
You can make it 3,000,001-ish!
9. It’s a #1 New York Times and International Bestseller.
10. This book will actually change your life!
@13ReasonsWhy is life changing. The series and the book both made me a better person. Everything affects everything.
— Maria Mafalda Girão (@amariamafalda) May 5, 2017
11. Readers can’t help but share with the world how much this book has changed their lives.
The 13 Reasons Why website is sprawling with reader reactions, like this one from Dianna.
She said, “When a book actually affects the way you breathe, you know it is powerful. When a book changes the way you look at life, you know it is nothing short of spectacular. Thirteen Reasons Why is that book."
12. Another reader named Maya Dom couldn’t help but hold this book responsible for helping millions of teens out there going through a crisis.
“It was drastically life-changing, especially since I can relate to Hannah’s emotions. I will always love this book. It teaches the reader to be careful about what they do and how they act," she said.
13. Don’t need anymore reasons to know why you need to win this special edition of 13 Reasons Why? Good.
Because all you have to do now is enter for a chance to win here.
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts, there are many resources available. Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or text Crisis Text Line at 741-741.
Love J-14? Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for fun, exclusive videos with your favorite stars.